Melmoth is a small town situated in KwaZulu-Natal
, South Africa
. The town was established in the Mthonjaneni district
after the annexation of Zululand
by the British Empire
in 1887 and was named after Sir Melmoth Osborn
. Large wattle
plantations were set up and a wattle bark factory was established in 1926. The district is also planted with sugar cane from the outskirts of the town and into the surrounding villages. The government-funded hospital in Melmoth is St Marys kwaMagwaza Hospital that caters for the people of Melmoth and surrounding villages.
The main road to Piet Retief is extremely busy during holiday periods.
Vehicle registrations in Melmoth start with NO - N
for Natal, O
Category:Populated places in the Mthonjaneni Local Municipality
Category:Populated places established in 1887