Education Scotland ( gd|Foghlam Alba, sco|Eddication Scotland) is an Executive Agency
of the Scottish Government, tasked with improving the quality of the country's education system
The creation of the Agency was announced by Scottish Government Education and Lifelong Learning Cabinet Minister Michael Russell
on 14 October 2010.
It was intended to bring to together the work and responsibilities of Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Education
and Learning and Teaching Scotland
and was originally entitled the Scottish Education Quality and Improvement Agency (SEQIA).
The name was later changed to Education Scotland and the agency was established under this name on 1 July 2011.
On establishment Education Scotland also incorporated the Scottish Government Positive Behaviour Team, which aims to support Scottish schools and local authorities to introduce and embed approaches that promote positive relationships and behaviour, and the National CPD Team, which aims to provide strategic support for continuing professional development (CPD) and professional review throughout Scottish education.
Education Scotland's core purpose and strategic priorities are:
* to lead and support successful implementation of the curriculum
* to build the capacity of education providers and practitioners to improve their own performance
* to promote high quality professional learning and leadership
* to stimulate creativity and innovation
* to provide independent evaluation on the quality of educational provision
* to provide evidence-based advice to inform national policy
* to develop its people and improve its organisational capability
Key areas of work
Evaluation of the quality of learning and teaching in Scottish schools and education services through Inspection and review of Scottish education
Provision of support and resources for learning and teaching via the Education Scotland online service.
Category:Executive agencies of the Scottish Government
Category:Educational organisations based in Scotland
Category:2011 establishments in Scotland
Category:Government agencies established in 2011
Category:Organisations based in West Lothian
Category:Livingston, West Lothian