The Cleveland Jewish News (the CJN) is a weekly Jewish newspaper headquartered in Beachwood, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland. The newspaper contains local, national, and international news of Jewish interest.
It was formed in 1964. It is a successor to two Cleveland Anglo-Jewish newspapers – The Jewish Independent (established in 1906) and the Jewish Review & Observer (which had as its roots the Hebrew Observer, founded in 1889).
The Cleveland Jewish News had as its first issue a 32-page tabloid on October 30, 1964. Arthur Weyne was its first editor. He was followed by Jerry D. Barach, and then in 1980 by Cynthia Dettelbach, and Michael E. Bennett from 2005 to 2012.Publisher and CEO Kevin S. Adelstein, joined the Cleveland Jewish News in 2013.
The Cleveland Jewish News is owned by its parent company, the Cleveland Jewish Publication Company. The CJPC publishes:
CJN publications have an average print distribution of 8,000 copies and reach more than 45,000 readers in Greater Cleveland. In addition to paid home delivery, the paper is available in libraries and institutions, and single copies are sold at more than 30 newsstands. In 2012, the CJN launched a digital edition of the paper, which can be viewed on any mobile device and is available on Thursday, a day earlier than the print subscription.
In June 2010, the Cleveland Jewish News Foundation launched the CJN Archive: a searchable online database of the complete collection of the Cleveland Jewish News, which has been published weekly since 1964. Each week, the newest CJN is added to the archive, creating an ongoing and ever-expanding digital repository of the newspaper of record of Northeast Ohio’s Jewish community. The archive ensures that the local Jewish community and public in general, wherever they are, can capture and remember events and people that shaped Jewish history. Before its creation, past CJN editions were available only on more than 200,000 pages of newsprint in large, heavy, bound volumes or on microfilm reels, to which access is limited. In 2015, The Cleveland Jewish News Foundation celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Cleveland Jewish News with a community fundraising event with more than 900 attendees. Guest speakers (insert links to each page at names and Watergate scandal) Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein fielded questions from Adelstein on myriad of topics to keep the sold out crowd entertained throughout the night. The proceeds of the event allowed the CJN Foundation to fulfill its promise of providing free, world-wide access to the CJN Digital Archives, including the addition of each of the predecessor newspapers to the CJN. The complete archive contains more than 125 years of Cleveland Jewish history and is accessible at cjn.org/archive.
In 2008, the Cleveland Jewish Publication Co. launched LinQ2 Communications, a custom media division that partners with businesses and organizations to meet communications needs. Two of LinQ2’s signature publications, Balanced Living and Museum and Galleries of Ohio and Beyond, are found on newsstands and at various locations throughout Ohio. In 2014 the company reverted to using Cleveland Jewish Publication Co. or CJPC as the name of the publishing group. In addition, this growing business has partnered with many local organizations to provide custom solutions including:
In 2015 CJPC Custom Publications partnered with the city of South Euclid, Ohio to create and publish South Euclid Magazine, a quarterly magazine for the city’s residents and businesses. In late 2015, CJPC Custom Publications parterned with the city of Lyndhurst, Ohio to create Lyndhurst Life Magazine for its residents and businesses. Both publications are distributed via USPS to its residents and surrounding businesses to keep them informed and engaged with its city government and institutions.