{{See also, List of universities in the United Kingdom In the United Kingdom, the use of the word "university" (including " university college") in the name of an institution is protected by law and must be authorised by an act of parliament, a royal charter, or by the privy council. Universities are one of the types of institutions (termed Recognised Bodies) that hold degree awarding powers in the United Kingdom.
United Kingdom The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) or Britain,Usage is mixed. The Guardian' and Telegraph' use Britain as a synonym for the United Kingdom. Some prefer to use Britain as shortha ...