HOME
        TheInfoList



Bouches-du-Rhin (; "Mouths of the Rhine", ) was a department of the First French Empire in the present-day Netherlands. It was named after the mouth of the river Rhine. It was formed in 1810, when the Kingdom of Holland was annexed by France. Its territory corresponded with the eastern half of the present-day Dutch province of North Brabant and a part of the province of Gelderland. Its capital was 's-Hertogenbosch. The department was subdivided into the following arrondissements and cantons (situation in 1812):Almanach Impérial an bissextil MDCCCXII
p. 379-380, accessed in Gallica 24 July 2013
* 's-Hertogenbosch, cantons: 's-Hertogenbosch, Boxtel, Heusden, Oisterwijk, Oss, Tilburg, Waalwijk and Zaltbommel. * Eindhoven, cantons: Asten, Eindhoven, Gemert, Helmond, Hilvarenbeek, Oirschot and Sint-Oedenrode. * Nijmegen, cantons: Boxmeer, Druten, Grave, Nijmegen, Ravenstein and Wijchen. Its population in 1812 was 257,580. After Napoleon was defeated in 1814, the department became part of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands.


References

{{DEFAULTSORT:Bouches-Du-Rhin Category:Former departments of France in the Netherlands Category:1810 establishments in the First French Empire Category:History of North Brabant