HOME
TheInfoList



The 7th Panzer Division or Westphalian Panzer Division (german: 7. Panzerdivision or ''Westfälische Panzerdivision'') was a major formation in the German Army (''Heer'') within the German Armed Forces or ''Bundeswehr'' whose headquarters was for many years in Lippstadt und Unna and, finally in Düsseldorf. Until its dissolution in 2006 it was seen as the "backbone of the Army" or the "spearhead of the German Army". The majority of new weapon systems were introduced by this formation. Many Inspectors of the Army (''Inspekteur des Heeres'') were once divisional commanders of the 7th Armoured Division. Its last commander was Wolf-Joachim Clauß. It was the only division in the Northern Army Group without a forward defence sector in line against a projected Warsaw Pact attack. It was the only immediately available reserve division.


References


External links


Information on the disbandment of the Division






{{DEFAULTSORT:Armoured Division, 07 Armoured divisions of the Bundeswehr, 7 History of Düsseldorf Westphalia Military units and formations established in 1958 Military units and formations disestablished in 2006 1958 establishments in Germany